Category Archives: QueerWes Meetings

Sometimes we have meetings and plan stuff. Here’s what happened.

QueerWes Meeting 2/20

slide_9277_124212_free

Attendance: Vivianne, Izzy, Songyi, Madalena, Bing

(COME OUT NEXT WEEK!)

1. APPLY TO LIVE IN OPEN HOUSE. Applications due on Monday at noon! Living in Open House allows residents to share a common queer experience and also provides the opportunity to be more involved with queer life at Wes.

1.5. QUEER PROM will certainly take place on APRIL 13TH at PSI U. MARK YOUR CALENDARS. Queer Prom committee will convene soon, potentially pre-meeting next week.

2. Visibility Initiatives
We’d love to make a conscious effort to be an incredibly present part of this campus. Also, increased visibility hopefully will lead to students being more comfortable being part of the queer community. We brainstormed some ideas for including the whole campus and being more visible, such as:
Queer T-shirts (shout-out to SOPHIE MASSEY for taking the initiative to organize this project and VIRGIL TAYLOR for designing the shirts!) Also, having a queer t-shirt day where everyone who ordered a shirt wears them– perhaps take a picture together on Foss or in Usdan or in front of Olin.
Other small signifiers we can hand out. ideas suggested: pins, bracelets, hair extensions (though idea quickly nixed)
Queer Day on the hill. On a spring day, we’d love to queer up Foss. We’d hand out pins or bracelets, somehow give other students a chance to show their support for queer persons at Wes (sign something, contribute to some bigger art project….Ideas welcome! We’re thinking of doing this at WesFest, so please come to the meeting next week or email irode@wesleyan.edu to discuss ideas!

3. Decided that 7:30 is simply a bad time for snacks. BUT WILL CONTINUE TO BRING THEM DAMMIT. Charlotte stops by and eats Cheez-its and Izzy swoons.

4. Individual tasks
In hopes of attracting more students to events as well as getting more lovelies involved, each member at the meeting discusses what they’ll work on for QueerWes this semester. We’re more than happy to have more help!
-Vivianne will draft an all-campus letter to be put in mailboxes. (content unclear thusfar but suggestions have included but are not limited to: WE ARE HERE AND WE ARE QUEER AND EVERYONE SHOULD KNOW, we welcome queers and allies with open arms, updated campus resources, events for the spring semester, FUCK THE STATUS QUO) Vivianne will also make poster for Consciousness Raising Group that will take place (ideally) next weekend on Friday or Saturday over a potluck.
-Madalena takes charge in figuring out logistics both for writing a QUEERWES MANIFESTO and QUEERED SPEED-FRIENDING.
-A lovely (absent) Ben will be helping with new Consciousness Raising Groups. These will be super informal discussions over a potluck, hopefully taking place at a different, safe location every couples weeks or so. Vivianne suggests first one being on the subject of “Queer @ Wes” so people can meet and discuss general experiences before delving into subjects such as Race and Queerness, Bisexuality, Gender presentation and society, our role as queers, etc. Shout-out to Ashe Kilbourne as these are in many ways modeled after the Trans*/Gender Collective she helped organize.

WHEW that was a lot. see y’all next week! 

<3 QueerWes

slide_9277_123020_free

Leave a comment

Filed under QueerWes Meetings

QueerWes Meeting 2/13

Spring 2013 Meeting #2

Attendance: Shauna, Vivianne, Amelia, Joel, Katy, Michael, Bing, Izzy

1. Fran Koerting, Director of Residential Life, joins us to talk about wording for the freshman housing preference form. General confusion is discussed as well as prior university attempts. Consensus is reached that except for a few small changes, the current form and system does a good job of placing freshmen, allowing them to present concerns, and not outting anyone. Any questions, comments, ideas, suggestions, etc.– feel free to contact Fran Koerting (fkoerting@wesleyan.edu).

2. Queer Intern Katy not on Endless Acronym listserv?!

3. QRC: Katy’s alphabetizing books and some decorations have been put up.

4. We discuss events we might want to put on this semester. Izzy will bring event planning sheets next week so everyone can get planning and putting on events.

5. Queer Prom update: both Eclectic and Psi U will be discussing allowing us to have Queer Prom at their houses at their chapter meetings on Sunday. JOEL JOINS QUEER PROM COMMITTEE. MAYBE AMELIA DID TOO?!

6. Hedwig and the Angry Inch: musical or rock opera? Musical, we think. Michael’s bringing it to the film series, at any rate.

Anyhow, come next week for snacks and specific tasks for events and such. Bring a friend!

<3, QueerWes

Leave a comment

Filed under QueerWes Meetings

QueerWes Meeting Minutes 2/6

HELLO TO A BEAUTIFUL NEW SEMESTER!

Attendance: Madalena, Anna, Ted, Vivianne, Amelia, Ben, Joseph, Diego, Izzy, Wy Ming, James

1. The student groups fair is on Friday. If anyone wants to come hang out at the QueerWes table or make decorations, you will be so welcomed. Also, please express to friends that it will be a chance to sign up for the endlessacronym listserv or ask to be added to the facebook group (here) as those are our formal modes of communication at the moment.

2. We’d love for this blog to be used as a method of communication and sharing among queers and allies at Wesleyan. If anyone would like to contribute, contact Izzy. Contributions could be anything you please involving your queer or ally experience and level of commitment is up to you.

3. Queer Prom. TED HAS OFFICIALLY JOINED THE QUEER PROM COMMITTEE. If anyone else would like to, contact Izzy. We have big dreams for the event and suggestions were freaking fantastic today. Location, Theme, Music, Decorations, Funding, Publicity, and activities at the event itself all need to be decided and suggestions or help is happily welcomed.

4. NO ONE EATS SNACKS. WTF. SELTZER, MUNCHIES, AND CHEX MIX LEFT UNOPENED.

5. Event Suggestions for this semester:
-Queer Open Mic
-Consciousness Raising Groups (Ben) (aim to have important conversations and create a sense of shared experience and solidarity)
-Queer Foss Hill Day/”The Big Queer Hug”
-Speed-friending (Madalena)
-Queer Chalking Coalition
-Queer Manifesto creation (open suggestions in Usdan or elsewhere with a meeting later to discuss a draft)
-Caravan to Northhampton Pride near end of semester
-Wes Thinks Queer (short talks on queer history or culture; sharing information and queer thoughts)

5. JAMES APPEARS, DISCUSSES PLAN FOR 1320 CONDOMS, AND LEAVES TO EAT DINNER WITH FIANCE.

It was a fantastically enthusiastic meeting. See you all next week!

<3,
QueerWes

1 Comment

Filed under All Things Queer, QueerWes Meetings

QUEERWES MEETING MINUTES 11/14 THAT WERE LOST THEN RECOVERED

1. QUEER RETREAT will be taking place SATURDAY DECEMBER 1ST to SUNDAY DECEMBER 2ND (provided we get SBC funding)

IF YOU ARE INTERESTED IN ATTENDING, contact atatarian@wesleyan.edu for details.

Thanks to Amelia T. and Dylan T-L. for all the awesome work on the retreat.

2. QueerWes within Wesleyan– what are our goals on campus?

3. Mission Statement: sticking with
“QueerWes is Wesleyan’s newest queer group on campus. Our aim is to create an all-inclusive, cohesive group of queer persons and allies on Wesleyan’s campus in order to better organize, communicate, and enhance queer life at Wes in any way we can.”

4. Blog. WE LOVE IT. WE WANT MORE OF IT.

5. Intersectional Events
Gay Muslim speaker?
Open Discussion on Race and Sexuality co-sponsored by SPECTRUM?
keep thinking of ideas!

6. How to improve queer events
More off campus!
Queer social life
or socialize queer life?

EVENTS:
Justice for Queers: A Discussion with Margot Weiss
6pm
Wednesday, November 28th

QUEER RETREAT

all the queer love, y’all
<3 queerwes

Leave a comment

Filed under QueerWes Meetings

QueerWes Meeting Notes, November 7th

So, due to a snow storm and Cherríe Moraga being in town as Ajùa Campos’s Keynote Speaker, the QueerWes meeting this week didn’t really happen. Here’s all you need to know:

1) Queer Retreat is currently scheduled for December 2nd-3rd. Keep an eye out for more information! And if you have any great suggestions for activities, let us know!

2) If you’d like to be a part of the QueerWes blog, email irode@wesleyan.edu!

3) We’re considering writing a letter to be put in all Wesleyan mailboxes to tell all students about the queer resources available at Wes. We think this might be a great idea so that we can be sure every student is aware of what’s available. If you have any interest in contributing to the statement, which should consist of our expressing our inclusivity, the fluidity of queer identities, and a general welcome to be part of QueerWes and queer life, then let Izzy know! Other resources we plan on including are
-QRC location and interns
-establishing that QueerWes meetings and nights always take place on Wednesdays at 7:30pm
-the endless acronym listserv exists
-letting everyone know Open House is located at 154 Church
and potentially anything else you think should be included.

4) Margot Weiss is going to facilitate a QueerWes-sponsored discussion around the subject of “Justice for Queers” on November 28th @6pm in the Open House living room (Bayit living room if OHo fills up like last time). Dinner will be served!

And that’s it for now, folks. See you next Wednesday!

Oh, and happy election week, yo:

Fun fact: One time the man I always buy from at Sunoco asked me if I was related to Rachel Maddow.

Leave a comment

Filed under QueerWes Meetings

QueerWes Meeting Notes (October 31st)

Discussed:

1) Queer Lecture/Discussion Series
After the success of last week’s “Marriage and Queers” event with Sociology professor Greg Goldberg, it was decided Queerwes will continue to sponsor these discussion. So bring on the Queer Lecture/Discussion Series. We discussed topics and potential professors to facilitate informal discussion. Ideas suggested were
Margot Weiss: Justice for Queers
MJR: Queers and Christians
Lisa Cohen: Queer Time
Cristina Crosby:  Intersectionality of Disabilities and Queers
Amy Bloom: ?

2) QUEER RETREAT, SAVE THE DATE: December 1st – December 2nd
Dylan, Amelia and Izzy will meet this week to discuss queer retreat plans.

3) In case you hadn’t noticed, we created a blog. If you’d like to contribute a weekly post or have any ideas on how to improve the site (seriously, we’re internet-illiterate and need your help) please email irode@wesleyan.edu

4) We tryna have a Queer Open Mic Night at Javapalooza (Javapalezza). We’re looking at November 15th as a tentative date. Izzy will contact Andie from Java to ask if Java is available said night. BEGIN SEARCH FOR QUEER ARTISTS TO PERFORM. Come and sing, read poetry, interpretative dance to Chow Down at Chick-fil-A, ANYTHING. Email irode@wesleyan.edu to sign up to perform.

5) Liz Bradbury Lecture this Thursday at 7pm in Judd 116.
Queer Pancakes this Saturday (!!) from 11am-1pm ft. Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s stone on VHS

6) SERIOUSLY DOES ANYONE KNOW HOW TO FIX THE TIMES ON OUR CALENDAR?!

NEXT WEEK: 

QUEERWES BRING A FRIEND NIGHT @ the QRC
FT: BOARD GAMES, MOST NOTABLY TWISTER

<3 QueerWes

Leave a comment

Filed under QueerWes Meetings